Download General Employment Application (please upload with submissions)
This position performs semi-skilled manual work in a variety of tasks reading electric and water meters, recording consumption and other related maintenance activities. Work is performed under direct supervision of the Meter Technician Supervisor.
MAIN JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reads water and electric meters on an assigned route and records readings.
- Checks to see that meters are functioning properly and reports any defects.
- Cleans and maintains meter boxes.
- Inputs and retrieves information through operation of computerized meter reading devices.
- Performs preventative maintenance on various equipment.
- Disconnection and reconnection of utility services.
- Performs heaving manual labor, such as digging, lifting and pulling.
- Verifies unusually high or low meter readings by confirming reading and meter number; reports any unusual situations to the supervisor or designee.
- Complete work orders for assigned division.
- Operate City vehicles in a safe manner.
- Adhere to established safety guidelines regarding dogs, access to meters, personal safety and hazardous conditions.
- Perform other related duties as required/assigned.
High school graduation or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma. Two (2) years experience performing semi-skilled tasks, desirable. Must possess a valid Florida Driver’s License. A comparable amount of training, education or experience may be substituted for the minimum qualification.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of basic meter reading principles and practices.
- Skill in operation and maintenance of equipment and tools related to the position.
- Ability to accurately input data into a computer or other device.
- Ability to perform manual labor under adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to recognize safety hazards in the work involved, and to take precautionary measures to protect self and others.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with the public and co-workers.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Works outdoors in various weather conditions.
- Acceptable eyesight, with or without correction.
- Acceptable hearing, with or without hearing aid.
- Moderate to heavy (45 pounds and over) lifting and carrying.
- Walking, standing, stooping, bending and kneeling.
- Manual dexterity.
- Driving and equipment operation.
Reasonable accommodations will be made in accordance with existing ADA requirements for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.
The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other areas to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.